2009-07-23

Jupiter and the Asteroid Impact Site

Date: 2009-07-22
Time: 04:33 UT
Location: Snellville, GA
Telescope: 10-in Dobsonian f/4.5
Magnifications: 44x, 110x
Object: Jupiter
Seeing (scale 0--4) Started out at 1 and worked it's way up to 3.
Atmosphere: Light clouds. Cool air for the summer.

I'm entering these notes nearly two days after the observations.

I started observing before the telescope had come to temperature. Also Jupiter was quite low in the East so, from at least those two factors, the seeing was quite terrible. The four Galilean moons were dancing sparklers and it was very difficult to see any detail on the planet other than the main belts.

I'll include the tweets I made at the time.

Observing Jupiter. 10-in f/5.4 Dob, 110x. Seeing is terrible, 1 (0--4). SEB and GEB easy but no GRS or impact site.

Seeing is better, 3. Tel has settled down and planet is higher. NEB a d belt just north easy. Still no GRS or impact.
I can see excellent belt detail but no impact site visible in North. Maybe it's smeared?Well I don't see it. The SEB appears split in two. I can see the faint belt N of the NEB. But no impact site.

No comments:

Post a Comment